Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday, June 7, 2010: Crazy Hair Day

Today we had Crazy Hair Day. It’s a day where everyone in the class gets to make crazy hair. Meaghan tried three different hair-do’s and didn’t like any of them. Adam didn’t have a lot of hair. Pretty much all of the girls in the class had lots of ponytails. A few boys had Mohawks. Stephen noticed that most of the boys had gel in their hair to make it spiky. Dylan M. had one ponytail on the top of his head, kind of like Stephanie from Stephanie’s Ponytail. Lots of kids had color in their hair. Sarah had glitter in her hair! There was lots of discussion about the different hairstyles. Dylan A’s reaction was, “WOW! They have freaky hair!” Ms. Stern couldn’t believe all of the crazy, colorful hairstyles! Tomorrow morning we will have a crazy hair contest.

Ms. Stern read us a story called Saying Goodbye to Lulu. It’s about a girl whose lifelong companion, her loveable dog named Lulu, who passes away. The girl was very sad and decided to honor her pet by planting a special tree called “Lulu’s tree.” Then she told us some very sad news. Jimmy, our class pet, died over the weekend. He was having some problems with one of his eyes for a little while. Unfortunately, Jimmy didn’t get better. Together, we shared happy memories and told about funny things that happened with him around. Lots of people were very sad. Some children cried. Sarah reminded us that when we get sad, we can remember the things about Jimmy that make us happy. We are making a book about or favorite Jimmy memories to remember him by. He was a great class pet and we will miss him. Here’s what we wrote:

My favorite memory of Jimmy is when he peed and pooped on my unfinished work folder. –Emma
My most favorite memory about Jimmy is when he tried to get out of his cage. –Sarah
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when he took a bath. –Stephen
My favorite memory of Jimmy is hearing him chomping on his lettuce. I miss him so so so much already. –Victoria
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when he crawled in my hands and went to sleep. –Dylan
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when he was eating lettuce. –Dylan M.
My favorite memory of Jimmy is seeing his puke. I miss Jimmy already. He was a great class pet. –Drew
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when he eats celery and when the sand came out. –Nancy
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when he was trying to climb the cage. –Hunter
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when he ate his food. –Arlo
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when me and my friends played with him. –Meaghan
My favorite memory of Jimmy is giving him a bath. One Monday, me and my sister gave Jimmy a bath. We watched him crawl around in the container. –Eesha
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when he scared my friend away. –Anthony
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when we met him. –Dylan A.
My favorite memory about Jimmy is when he ate and munched loud. –Sasha
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when he peed on my brother’s face. –Jacob
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when Nicole (my older sister) got to take Jimmy home and we got to see Jimmy and play with Jimmy. –Amanda
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when I took him home and he looked so quiet. –Adam
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when Ms. Stern let him crawl on the rug. I think everyone was happy to meet Jimmy. Ms. Stern told us to hold him like a sandwich. –Lauria
My favorite memory of Jimmy is when we first saw Jimmy when he was crawling on the yellow rug. Jimmy crawled to me first. –Anthony D.

Ms. Stern had to go to a meeting. Mrs. McNamee came into our classroom for part of the day. Everyone read independently before lunch time.

After lunch, we did our 100 facts. Then we played place value Tic-Tac-Toe again. We got to choose our own partners.

Today everyone began writing and illustrating their ABC books using the graphic organizers to help us remember our ideas.

Our trip to the DeWint House is on Wednesday. Permission slips need to be returned by Wednesday morning in order to go on the walk. Please be sure to have your child wear sneakers and dress appropriately for the trip. We will be leaving WOS around 9:00 a.m. and are hoping to return by 11:30. Let Ms. Stern know if you are interested in chaperoning. Thanks!

Tomorrow is Twin/Triplet Day. Refer to the June activity calendar to be up to date on each day’s special event.

No comments: