Monday, February 2, 2009

Heartprint Project


"A heartprint is formed when you do something kind. Your love touches others, leaving heartprints behind."

As the 100th day of school approaches (on February 26th), our class is trying to leave at least 100 heartprints. Heartprints are gestures of kindness and love towards others, without expecting anything in return. The idea stems from the book, Heartprints, by P.K. Hallinan. (Hello Mr. Hallinan, if you are reading this!) It is a beautiful story that demonstrates consideration of others and portrays children performing caring deeds for others.

We are working to recognize the kind acts and gestures done for one another in our classroom. So far, 15 heartprints have been recorded:


1. When Gianluca and Kaitlyn were doing a drawing contest with me, Kaitlyn said mine looked nice and that made me feel happy. –Carly
2. Sean complimented me when I got a spare. –Darren
3. When Rebecca or Carly gave me a compliment for my art, it made me happy. –Sophia
4. When my friend Carly let me cut in front of her, I felt happy. –Kaitlyn
5. When I wanted to be in the Ducky Club, Nolan let me. –Mia
6. Kevin helped me figure the word out. –Michael
7. Once when I was on the playground, I fell and somebody laughed at me. My friend Sophia offered to bring me to the nurse. –Isabella
8. When Zoe and Emily let me join in the game, it made me happy. –Mia
9. I felt happy when Darren complimented me in my drawing. –Sammy
10. Emily let me cut in line. –Zoe
11. When Carly and Joan let me in their club, I felt cheerful. –Gianluca
12. When I fell, Darren helped me up. –Sean
13. I was so happy that Nolan let me join the Ducky Club. –Sammy
14. At the end of each day, Sean helps me by moving the names back on the Smartboard for lunch count the next day. –Ms. Stern
15. Daniel needed a writing partner and Sean offered to help him. –Ms. Stern


Please help us reach our goal by looking out for heartprints left behind by your child outside of school. Each time your child shows a gesture of love or kindness, please record a quick description telling what your child did on a heartprint (though siblings, grandparents, and others can fill one out as well) and have your child bring the heartprint back to school.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to recognize and record your child's thoughtful ways. Hopefully, we will surpass our goal of 100 heartprints well before we reach the 100th day of school!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for encouraging the children in this most important task- how to be kind.